Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Making apple butter....

Yep, that's what we've been doing today, making apple butter.  Yummy!! It tastes so good!  I've made jelly all my life, but NEVER made apple butter.  I got my mother-in-law's recipe from my sister-in-law and decided to try it.  The gleaners from our church had left over apples they gathered last week and gave them to my husband to put out for the deer.  Well, they were just too pretty to put out for the deer, so I decided to try my hand at apple butter.  I think they are Rome apples but I'm not sure---I do not know apples.  In this first shot, you can see several jars we have already sealed and another batch cooking before I put the sugar and spices in it. 
 Here are the apples I left for the deer on our place--not too many, huh!
This is an old fashioned apple peeler that my first father-in-law gave me for Christmas one year.  As soon as I started peeling all the apples by hand, I remember the peeler.  Boy, did it make it a LOT quicker to peel them all!  Anyone making apple butter needs one of these.  I used to dry apples alot, so that's why he got me the peeler.
 Here is the finished product!  Good eating this winter!! 
Thanks for stopping in today.  Sorry I have no stamping to share--no stamping time today.  Come back tomorrow!  Thanks for stopping in!  Smiles, Laura

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool to see it being made. There is nothing better than apple butter on hot fried biscuits! My mouth is watering! Hope you are well. Best, Curt

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments you leave. If acceptable, they will be posted to by blog.